Unlocking the boot loader on your Sony Xperia Z3 enables you to perform a variety of custom functions, from flashing custom kernels and ROMS to initiating rooting features. Before you implement the methods detailed below, remember that Sony’s warranty doesn’t cover mishaps resulting from custom tweaking, such as bricking. Back up the contents of your phone, as all data will be erased upon unlocking.
Preparing to Unlock the Sony Xperia Z3
- Verify that you have installed the Android ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer using the Minimal tool’s quick setup feature.
- Check whether your phone supports unlocking of the boot loader. Navigate to the dial pad on your phone and type *#*#7378423#*#*.
- Once the code is entered, a menu appears.
- Navigate to Service info > Configuration > boot loader Unlock. If the message reads “Yes,” you have confirmed that the phone supports unlocking of the boot loader. Otherwise, you can check whether the boot loader is already unlocked, which may be the case if your phone was pre-owned.
- Navigate to the dial pad and type *#06#* to display your phone’s IMEI number. Record the number for reference.
- Turn off your phone.
- Launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot command prompt.
- Press and hold down the Volume Up button on your phone and connect the USB cable from your phone to your computer. If you have a modified Z3 phone, try pressing and holding down the Back button instead.
- Verify that your phone is using the most recent Android firmware. Unlocking the phone with older firmware installed may cause the camera to stop working.
- Type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version into the command prompt and press Enter. The window will output a response value in the form of a decimal. If this value is displayed, then the phone is properly set up.
- Navigate to the Sony Developer unlock web page and read and accept the terms and conditions to proceed. Note that your warranty may be void if you proceed.
- Type your name, your Xperia Z3’s IMEI number barring the last digit, and your email address into the appropriate fields. Click the Submit button to send an unlock code request to Sony.
- Check your inbox for an email from Sony containing your Xperia Z3’s boot loader unlock code. If you don’t see the email after waiting a few minutes, check your Spam folder.
- Type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xCODE into the command prompt, replacing code with the unlock code you received from Sony. Press Enter to fully unlock the boot loader. The command prompt should display logs.
- If the above steps didn’t work, consult a professional phone unlocking company for more advanced services.
Relocking the Sony Xperia Z3
After you unlock the Xperia Z3, relocking it is easy, even for people without experience. Relocking the boot loader enables the phone to access important system updates and lets you fix system issues via SEUS/PCC. Follow these steps to relock your phone:
- Verify that FlashTool is downloaded and properly installed on the phone.
- Download the appropriate FTF Z3 boot loader relock file to your computer.
- Open the FTF file in FlashTool. When the flashmode prompt appears, turn off the phone and, while holding down the decrease volume button, connect the USB cable from your computer to your phone to enable flashmode.
- Restart your phone after the flashing completes to fully relock the Z3 boot loader.
- As with the unlock procedure, if you have trouble relocking your phone, search online for a reputable phone unlocking company for tailored services.
Due to this being extremely technical, we hold no responsibility if phone is broken, bricked or damaged by using this method. It also depends on the version firmware of the Sony Xperia and this method might not work in future. We recommend being very careful. To avoid these issues, you can simply order the unlock code for your Sony Xperia Z3 from UnlockBase. You might also want to read our post about If you are thinking about purchasing the Sony Xperia Z3 be sure to look into all the possible consequences before making a decision about modifying your device.
Disclaimer: UnlockBase is not responsible if users break / brick or damage their phone while trying to use this method.
Since 2008 the Sony Xperia (a name taken from the word experience) line of smart phones and tablets have been a mainstay of their mobile device line. Growing with the new world of hand held, mobile computing, Xperia products first began incorporating the Android operating system in 2010. Every new piece of technology released in the Sony Xperia line is a chance for users and techies alike to explore the possibilities offered by the continued improvement in functionality and processing capabilities. The announcement about the newest addition to their smart phone line, the Xperia Z3, already has tech sites buzzing about the device while carefully examining its capabilities.
Bootloaders, Smart Phones and You
The world of DOS, Windows and now Android has always been about allowing users the freedom to customize their experience. Open source code and the world of innovation allowed continuous improvements and changing. Savvy smart phone users figured out that by unlocking a phone’s bootloader many major pieces of software could be modified and customized. A bootloader is the instructions guiding a phone during start up. Unlocking the bootloader allows for new operating systems to be installed and loaded that have been developed specifically for Android based phones such as Ubuntu or Cyanogen. However, there are potential drawbacks if you decide to modify your smart phone.
Sony Warns Xperia Users Against Unlocking Bootloaders
Smart phone manufacturers are generally against users unlocking the bootloader on their device. Obviously there are monetary reasons for this, as manufacturers contract with software companies to create the platform and related applications on any given device. Furthermore companies warn that the integrity of security may be compromised by altering the configuration of a device. Sony states on their website that unlocking the bootloader on their Xperia Z3 device will void the warranty due to these concerns. Sony additionally warns users that unlocking the bootloader may cause certain preloaded applications to fail, prevent updates to software and cause users to be unable to purchase and download anything from Sony’s digital storefronts.
DRM Keys and Mobile Devices
The reason that unlocking the bootloader on the Sony Xperia Z3 may cause so many problems for users is the face that in doing so the device’s DRM keys will be deleted. DRM (digital rights management) security keys allow a smart phone to prove that it has the right to use certain applications or online purchases related to the device. When these keys are lost by unlocking the Xperia’s bootloader certain applications become unusable and users are unable to prove to Sony’s online storefronts that the device is compatible and secure. The decision by Sony to make these DRM keys linked to the system’s bootloader leaves users with a difficult decision to make if they want greater customization options.
Sony Xperia Camera Algorithms Affected
The loss of the Xperia’s DRM security keys also reportedly affects the functionality of the device’s camera. The camera on the Xperia Z3 has been billed as one of the smart phone’s major strengths, producing crisp, clear images. The loss of the DRM keys due to unlocking the device’s bootloader apparently affects the camera’s image quality. This is due to the fact that the camera’s advanced algorithms controlling image quality are controlled by the DRM keys. While this type of result occurred in the past with other Sony devices, several sources that got their hands on the Xperia Z3 early have released images showing a significant reduction in quality.
Hopefully you can unlock your Sony without compromising the Bootloader. To avoid any issues, we recommend ordering the factory unlock code of your Sony Xperia Z3. Ultimately it is the user’s decision to modify their device or make major changes through unlocking the bootloader. It is important to understand the positives and potential drawbacks before making a decision that could potentially affect your smart phone’s performance, software and warranty. If you are thinking about purchasing the Sony Xperia Z3 be sure to look into all the possible consequences before making a decision about modifying your device.
Today we updated our services for ordering the Unlock Code for the Sony Xperia and Sony Ericsson Unlocking Code. First, our cheapest option (Monday Delivery Service) is unfortunately no longer supporting all networks, instead it’s now limited to United Kingdom Networks (including Ireland). But we have added a new special service to Unlock the Sony Xperia Cell Phone from Spain & Portugal in less than 24 Hours. And finally, our unique “Worldwide” service is now supporting all other networks (this means any Network & Country besides UK, Spain, and Portugal) and is now faster (delivering three batches per week instead of two). Here is the list of the new services:
Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson – Spain & Portugal Networks - [Tool ID: 717] : Delivery in up to 5 business days.
Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson – United Kingdom Networks (Monday Delivery) - [Tool ID: 391]: The Supplier collects the IMEI every Monday evening around 11pm (GMT+1) and delivers the code on Tuesday or Wednesday of the same week (usually in the morning!)
Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson – WorldWide (3 Batch / week) – [Tool ID: 571]: The Supplier collects all pending IMEI every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday around 4am (GMT+4). And delivers all the Unlock Codes less than 10 Hours after collecting the IMEI.
You can check our prices on our Wholesale Unlock Pricing page.
We just add a new service to Unlock Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson by Code (just with IMEI). This new service deliver All Levels (SPCK, NCK, NSCK, CCK). Supplier collect all IMEI every Monday Evening around 11pm (GMT+1) and deliver the code 24 Hours later on Tuesday . It’s a second service for “Monday Delivery” (All Levels) at a cheaper price, but limited to Sony locked on French, Spanish or United Kingdom Networks.
Tool Name: Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson UK/France/Spain – Monday Submission
Tool ID: 600 <- for API
Price: €15 or $20 or £12.5
We just start to promote today a new Service to Unlock Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson. This new service is working from Monday to Friday. The supplier collect all pending IMEI everyday at 5pm (GMT+1) and deliver the code the next day around noon. If you submit an IMEI on Friday you’ll receive it next Monday (no delivery the week end)
WARNING: This service deliver only the NCK Code and not All Levels (SPCK, CCK, etc…). It’s your responsibility to check BEFORE place your order that the phone only need the NCK as the supplier won’t provide a refund (even with a video proof) if the phone is asking for another Level. (In that case you can use the “All Levels” service (Monday or Wednesday Submission)
Tool Name: Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson – 24 Hours Service (NCK Only) [Tool ID: 599]
Turnaround of Delivery: 12<>24H from Monday to Friday
Pricing: $19 or €14 or £11.5
We recently reduced the advertised price for Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson by IMEI
Old Price: €28 or $36 or £23
New Price: €16.9 or $22 or £14.5
Just as a reminder, keep in mind the supplier collect IMEI every Monday around 11pm (London Timezone) and deliver code the next day (Tuesday Late Evening). Additional discount are available for re-seller who do more than 10 IMEI per week on this service:
10 + IMEI / week : $20
100+ IMEI / week : $19
250+ IMEI / week : please contact me by email (email@example.com)
We’re happy to inform our customers that we just add a new service to Unlock all Sony Xperia & Sony Ericsson from Orange Poland. We test the service with few IMEIs and it look to be working properly ! So we can today advertise this fully tested & working service. Absolutely all models are supported and unlock code are coming in less than 24 Hours.
Tool Name: “Orange Poland – Sony & Sony Ericsson” [Tool ID: 444]
Turnaround for Delivery: 12<>24 Hours
Price: €19 or $25 or £16
We’re pleased to inform that the two services “SonyEricsson (IMEI + S/N)” (Tool ID: 112) & “Sony Xperia (IMEI + S/N)” (ID: 391) are now back to work at full speed. And now we just need IMEI (no more need to ask customer for S/N or KBH). So we rename these two services to : “SonyEricsson (IMEI Only)” & “Sony Xperia (IMEI Only)” and both keep the same Tool ID.
Suppier collet IMEI usually Tuesday evening and deliver the code the Thurdsday or Friday of the same week.
Please note that these two services provide all levels of code: (SPCK, NCK, NSCK, CCK) or (NLCK4, NSLCK4, SPLCK4U, CLCK4, PCK4, ESLCK4, NLCK4U, NSLCK4U, SPLCK4U, CLCK4U, PCK4U, ESLCK4U)
World First, we just add 4SE Server “Signature Unlock“ Credits on UnlockBase Server. This is simply the Ultimate Solution to Unlock using Original USB Cable and Without Test Point all new Sony Xperia in Real Time! If your phone is in the list of supported models below, then you can unlock it right away & in real time no matter the name & country of the original network provider of your Sony Xperia!
Supported Model :
A – Platform STE U8500:
Sony Xperia P LT22, Xperia Sola MT27, Xperia U ST25, Xperia Go ST27
B – Platform: MSM8x55:
SonyEricsson Walkman WT19, Xperia™ PLAY R800 and Sony Xperia PLAY Z1, Xperia Acro IS11S, Xperia Active ST17, Xperia Arc LT15, Xperia Arc S LT18, Xperia Mini ST15, Xperia Mini Pro SK17, Xperia Neo MT15, Xperia Neo V MT11, Xperia Pro MK16, Xperia Ray ST18, Xperia Neo L MT25
4SE Credits Structure:
1 Unlock = 30 4SE Server Credits
1 Unlock = 20 4SE ServerCredits if you have 4SE Dongle
You can order username & password with 20, 30, or 100 Credits on UnlockBase and receive your account in Real Time directly from the “Cable Unlock” section of your UnlockBase account. Just select one of these tools in the drop down menu:
– 4SE Signature Unlock (020 LOG Account) for $30 (or $1.5 / Credit)
– 4SE Signature Unlock (030 LOG Account) for $43.5 (or $1.4 / Credit)
– 4SE Signature Unlock (100 LOG Account) for $130 (or $1.3 / Credit)
32-bit: Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Windows 7
64-bit: Windows Vista, Windows 7
RAM: 2Gb (recommended 4Gb)
And the Original USB Cable of your Sony Xperia Cell Phone